Dollar Exchange Rate: $1 = S$1.29
Time: No time difference from the Philippines
Transportation System: Bus, train and taxi. Download Explore Singapore for MRT app. It will help you know the estimate time and the exact fare from what train station you are from to your next destination.
It is my first time here in Singapore. It is a small country that is almost the same size as Manila. It has wide and clean streets. I could say that this country was carefully established and very well thought of. The top four races here are Singaporean, Malaysian, Indian and Chinese. Life here is fast-paced, in fact, Singapore's escalators are not just faster than the Philippines' but also have provisions for fast lane. People here are very work-oriented.
Anyway, let me tell you something about our first day in Singapore...
Dan already booked the hotel we are going to stay in and that is Hotel 81 Palace which costs about $40/night. It is the cheapest hotel to stay in as of this time. Since we are out almost all day, we don't need a luxurious hotel, we just need a place where we can rest after a long day of exploring the country. Visit www.agoda.com for a wide variety of hotels.
The hotel is located at 25 Lorong 16 Geylang, Singapore. From the airport, here are the steps on how to get there.
1. Buy ezlink card from the airport. You will need it for your transportation. It is like an LRT/MRT card, only better. You can use it not just in trains but also in buses, blue taxis (which have ezlink stickers) and even 7/11. The card costs S$12 and it has S$7 load. If it runs out of load, the minimum amount that you can put in is S$10 in all train stations. However, you can put less than S$10 in your card at 7/11 outlets but it has S$0.50 charge.
2. Take the train from Changi Airport going to Tanah Merah. When you arrive at Tanah Merah, take the left exit and transfer to another train going to Aljunied.
3. Turn left in Aljunied road from the Aljunied MRT station. Turn right at the first junction and walk straight. Turn left on the third street which is Lor 16 Geylang and there you will find the hotel. It is just a 10 to 15-minute walk away from the MRT station depending on your pace. Don't worry, the street signs are large and there's just a slim chance that you might get lost. Don't ride a taxi; it is costly!
- It is located in the red light district which we initially didn't know.
- It has a costumer-friendly staff. The staff attended to almost all our needs. They printed almost all our online booking receipts and gave us extra pillows free of charge.
- It has free wifi.
- It has a comb, a shower cap, a blower, towels, and toothbrushes with toothpaste on it per room (which I find weird by the way).
- It has a socket compatible with the Philippines' electronic devices per room.
- It has hot and cold water.
So much for our hotel. Let's go to our itinerary for the day which is the Merlion Park and the Night Safari.
DINNER WITH A FRIEND
Franz, Dan's friend is one of the supervisors of Causeway Point Mall. We went there to meet and catch up with him. He paid for our dinner at the Food Republic and we tried a variety of food delicacies which we liked. Let the picture speak for itself.
Thank you Franz for the treat! We enjoyed the food and the conversation.
What you can do:
1. Ride Night Safari's tram and enjoy a 40-minute educational tour to the "wild". I enjoyed the ride because I saw the animals I haven't seen before up-close.
2. Walk on different trails and see different animals that are not in the tram journey. Trails include (1) Leopard trail, (2) Fishing Cat trail and (3) Wallaby trail. I had so much fun! I was amused to see actual animals that I just usually watch on tv.
3. Watch their live shows - You will be able to enjoy the Thumbuakar Performance and Creatures of the Night Show. We arrived at around 9:30 so we missed Thumbuakar Performance which is at 9pm, but we still enjoyed the night regardless!
Creatures of the Night Show was fun and very educational. They have showcased amazing performance by animals like snake, hyena, leopard and otter. Sana mapanood niyo ito (I hope you could watch this show).
Operation time of Night Safari is from 7:30pm to 12:mn. For tickets, visit www.asiatravel.com. It is cheaper to buy at asiatravel than in the Night Safari.
What a great day! Our feet were tired because of walking all day long but the memories built were all worth it. Naks! Yehey! Thank You Lord!!!